Cdv of 1st Dakota Cavalry officer Lt. DeWitt Clinton Smith. Identified on the verso "Lt. D. C. Smith A.D.C. March 21st 1863."
Brown, Milwaukee, WI photographers b/m. Also written on the lower back is "DeWitt Clinton Smith, Ripon, Wis Bully Boy- Tin Ear"
Smith enlisted 4/1/1862 at Yankton, DT as a 2nd Lt. and was dismissed 8/12/1864. Please see the view of the back shown below.
$375.00 plus shipping
The 1st Dakota Cavalry was a Union battalion of two companies raised in the Dakota Territory during the American Civil War. They were deployed along the frontier, primarily to protect the settlers during the Sioux Uprising of 1862.
By an order of the War Department, organization of a cavalry unit began in the winter of 1861, with recruiting stations established at Yankton, Vermillion, and Bon Homme. At Yankton, with Captain Nelson Miner commanding, the 98 men of Company A were mustered into service on April 19, 1862. They first were stationed at Fort Randall under Lieutenant Colonel Pattee of the 7th Iowa Volunteer Cavalry Regiment, but detachments of the company were afterward sent to protect the settlements at Yankton, Vermillion, Sioux Falls and Brule Creek, Dakota Territory.
Upon the commencement of the August 1862 Sioux uprising, Company A escorted settlers as they moved to protective stockades. Governor William Jayne also called for "every able-bodied man to arms in defense of the homes of Dakota", with 399 men responding.