Click on image for a better view:

Signed Cdv of 1st Ohio Light Artillery Colonel (Gen.) James Barnett
Signed Cdv of 1st Ohio Light Artillery Colonel (Gen.) James Barnett. Boldly signed on lower front mount.
No b/m, wear as shown in photograph.

$475.00 plus shipping

First Light Artillery. - (Three Years' Service.) Cols., James Barnett, Charles S.Cotter; Lieut.-Cols., William H. Hay- ward, Walter E. Lawrence; Majs., Seymour Race, William P. Is- rael, Andrew J. Konkle, Warren P. Edgarton, Daniel T. Cocker- ill, Frederick Schultz, Wilbur F. Goodspeed. This regiment was organized at Ravenna, Cincinnati, Camp Dennison, Cleveland, Columbus and Camp Chase from Aug. 6, 1861, to June 4, 1862, to serve for three years. Battery A left in Sept., 1861, for Lou- isville, Ky., receiving its equipment at Cincinnati while on the march. It made several laborious marches during its first year of service, but it did not participate in actual hostili- ties until the fall of 1862, when at Dog Walk, Ky., a portion of the battery was engaged. It performed effective service throughout the entire battle at Stone's river until the last gun was disabled by a shot from the enemy, and then the offi- cers and men aided in working other batteries on the field. It participated in the movement on Tullahoma, fought at Hoover's and Liberty gaps, and accompanied Gen. McCook over Sand moun- tain. It took part in the battle of Chickamauga and did some of its best fighting on those eventful days, but not without the loss of 17 men killed and wounded. It entered Chattanooga with the army and aided in the defense of that place. It re- enlisted, and after the 30-days' veteran furlough returned and participated in the whole of the Atlanta campaign. From At- lanta it went back to Chattanooga and thence to Columbia, at which point it was engaged with the Confederates under Gen. Hood. Battery B was mustered into the service Oct. 8, 1861 with an aggregate strength of 147 men. By order of Gen. O. M. Mitchel it left Cincinnati to report to Gen. George H. Thomas, then in command at Camp Dick Robinson, Ky. The first experi- ence it had in the field was a brisk little affair at Camp Wild Cat, in which it fired 12 rounds and silenced one of the en- emy's guns. It took part in the battle of Mill Springs and performed very effective service. At the battle of Perryville it had a position on the right wing of the army, but was not engaged. On Dec. 26 it moved with its brigade and division toward Murfreesboro, skirmishing heavily with the enemy in and around La Vergne. It bore its part throughout the battle of Stone's river, losing 17 men, killed, wounded and missing, and 21 horses killed. It remained near Murfreesboro up to June 24 and then joined in the advance of the Federal forces on Tulla- homa, marching with the left in Gen. Crittenden's corps. On the second day of the battle of Chickamauga the battery was charged by a large body of the enemy, but succeeded at first in beating them off; but a second charge overwhelmed the battery and it was compelled to leave 2 of its guns in the hands of the foe. In this charge several members of the battery were wound- ed and captured. The battery was cooped up with the rest of the army in Chattanooga, suffering all the privations of that siege, and participated in the battle at that place. Battery C was organized and mustered into the U. S. service on Oct. 8, 1861, and left camp under orders to report to Gen. George H. Thomas at Camp Dick Robinson Ky. It joined the expedition which resulted in the battle of Mill Springs and the defeat of the Confederate Gen. Zollicoffer, there doing some effective firing. In the advance of the army on Corinth the battery was almost incessantly engaged, performing some of the most arduous duty of the campaign. At Chickamauga it fought under the imme- diate eye of Gen. Thomas and received a verbal compliment from that officer on the field of battle, its loss there being 13 men, 30 horses, and 1 gun dismounted. It fell back with the army into Chattanooga and was thereafter engaged in the battle of Missionary ridge. At the close of this campaign it re- enlisted, was furloughed home, and in March, 1864, again re- ported for duty. It started with the army on the Atlanta cam- paign, and was engaged in the battles of Resaca, Cassville, Peachtree creek and siege of Atlanta, losing in this campaign 20 men killed and wounded. In November it started with Sher- man's army on the Savannah campaign, and encamped in the city of Savannah on Dec. 22. In Jan., 1865 it started on the cam- paign through the Carolinas and was engaged at Averasboro and Bentonville. Battery D was mustered into the U. S. service Oct. 17, 1861, with an aggregate of 150 men. It reported to Brig.-Gen. William Nelson at Mount Sterling Ky. In Sept., 1862, at Munfordville, it was so unfortunate as to be over- whelmed by the enemy and its entire force and material were captured. The men were paroled and sent home to Ohio, where they remained until exchanged, in Jan., 1863. It was then engaged throughout the entire siege of Knoxville, and immedi- ately after the siege was raised the battery re-enlisted, the men being sent to Ohio on 30 days' veteran furlough. When the march on Atlanta commenced it moved with Sherman's forces and was in all the engagements of that arduous and eventful cam- paign. It was engaged in the battles of Franklin and Nashville and after the army of Hood was driven across the Tennessee river the battery returned to Nashville and was sent with the 23d corps to Wilmington, N. C. Battery E was mustered into service Oct. 7, 1861, and in December following joined the old 3d division then under command of Gen. O. M. Mitchel, at Bacon Creek, Ky. It was engaged in nearly all the exploits of that officer through Kentucky, Tennessee and Alabama. In Nov., 1862, it had a severe artillery duel with Capt. Morgan's 1st La. battery at La Vergne, Tenn., and drove the enemy from his works. It silenced Robison's Texas battery on the left wing of Bragg's army and repulsed repeated charges of infantry and cav- alry at Stone's river on Dec. 30, but on the morning of the 31st the battery was overwhelmed in an exposed position on the extreme right of McCook's wing and after a brief though stub- born resistance was captured. It had 3 men killed, 20 wounded and 25 taken prisoners. At the battle of Missionary ridge it held an important point, and in the decisive battle of Nash- ville it acted with conspicuous gallantry. Battery F was mustered into service on Dec. 2, 1861, and the next day was ordered to Louisville, where it was added to Gen. Nelson's command. It moved on to Corinth, where during the siege it made its maiden effort of throwing shells at the enemy. Falling back toward Louisville, it was attached to Hazen's brigade, then proceeded to Perryville, where it participated in the fight without the loss of a man. It then moved on to Wild Cat mountain, and thence to Pitman's cross-roads, skirmishing with the enemy all the way. It participated in the battle of Stone's river, losing 2 men killed and 12 wounded. It was in the thickest of the battle at Chickamauga, losing 1 killed and 10 wounded. Battery G was mustered into service on Dec. 17, 1861, and soon thereafter became a part of the forces in Ten- nessee. It was the only volunteer battery of Buell's army en- gaged in the battle of Shiloh and the official records of com- manding officers show that it did good service. It served with Gen. Crittenden's division through the siege of Corinth, during which it was ordered into the artillery reserve and moved for Athens, Ala. In September it reported to Gen. Negley, command- ing 8th division, Army of the Cumberland, and moved into camp on the Franklin pike, 2 miles from the city, taking part during the blockade. It took part in the engagement at Stone's river, was active in skirmishing while lying at Murfreesboro and on the march to Tullahoma; took part in the engagement at Dug gap, covering the rear in retiring. It was also engaged at Chicka- mauga, whence it fell back with the army to Chattanooga, taking position on the Rossville road, where it was continually under fire until after the battle of Missionary ridge. In Oct., 1864, it received orders to report to the chief of artillery of the 4th army corps, at Pulaski, Tenn., where for some two weeks it was employed in building fortifications. It checked Hood's advance into Franklin, covered the retreat of the Federal column moving out, and reached Nashville on the night of Dec. 1, the loss of the battery in killed and wounded at the battle of Franklin being 23. It also took part m the battle of Nash- ville. Battery H was mustered into service on Nov. 7, 1861, and in Jan., 1862, proceeded by river to Parkersburg, W. Va., thence on the Baltimore & Ohio railroad to Patterson's creek. It was at Winchester in March, where on the 22nd it engaged the enemy and performed in a very creditable manner. It was en- gaged in the battle of Port Republic and, although it left 3 guns upon the battle-field to fall into the hands of the enemy, Gen. Shields complimented the battery on its gallantry and ef- ficient service. It marched with the army back to Fredericks- burg and took part in the bombardment of that place by Gen. Burnside's army, throwing nearly 1,000 shells into the town. It participated in the battle of Chancellorsville, where, as- sisted by the 11th and 4th N. Y., the men stood to the guns at a critical moment and without doubt saved the Federal army from destruction. In June the battery was placed in the artillery reserve of the Army of the Potomac and acted with it during the remainder of the war. Battery 1 was mustered into service on Dec. 3, 1861, and in January left for West Virginia. In April it moved over Cheat mountain to Monterey and took part in the battle of Dinwiddie's gap. It was then taken to McDowell and aided in the fighting near that place, losing 1 man killed. It took part in the battle of Cedar mountain, and upon reaching Freeman's ford on the Rappahannock was again engaged. It then moved with Gen. Pope's forces and took part in the second Bull Run battle, losing 12 men killed and wounded and 2 horses. It took part in the bombardment of Fredericksburg and then falling back with the army went into winter quarters at Brooks' sta- tion. On the opening of the spring campaign of 1863, the battery joined Gen. Hooker's army and took part in the battle of Chancellorsville, losing 5 men killed, 6 wounded, 1 gun and 16 horses. In the battle of Gettysburg it had 4 men killed and 15 wounded, and lost nearly all of its horses. In Oct., 1863, it was transferred with the 11th and 12th corps, Gen. Hooker commanding, to the Army of the Cumberland at Chattanooga, and Lookout valley was the scene of its first engagement in the west. It was also engaged at Missionary ridge and was then sent with Gen. Sherman's forces to the relief of Knoxville. Returning, it went into camp at Chattanooga and early in the spring of 1864 joined in the Atlanta campaign. It was engaged with the enemy in almost every battle of that campaign and its losses summed up 40 men killed and wounded. Battery K was mustered into service from Sept. 1 to Dec. 28, 1861. In Febru- ary it joined Gen. Schenck's command at Cumberland, Md., and moved with it to Romney, Va. After remaining in camp some days it marched to Petersburg and Bull Pasture mountain, and took part in the battle of McDowell. From McDowell it went to Franklin, thence to Strasburg, Cross Keys and Port Republic, taking part in the battle of Cross Keys. It was at Cedar moun- tain and other affairs in which Gen. Pope's forces were en- gaged, including the second Bull Run battle. The next battle in which it was engaged was that of Chancellorsville, where it shared in the vicissitudes and mistakes of that strange engage- ment. In the battle of Gettysburg it was so closely engaged as to lose 5 men killed and 27 wounded. In October it was taken with the 11th and 12th corps to Chattanooga, Tenn., to aid in raising the siege of that place, and was engaged in the night fight at Wauhatchie valley, in which the Confederates were badly defeated. It was also engaged at Lookout mountain and Missionary ridge. Battery L was mustered into service from Oct. 8, 1861, to Jan. 20, 1862, and joined Gen. Lander's com- mand at Patterson's creek, W. Va., arriving at that point on Jan. 27, 1863. It was in several positions during the battle of Winchester on March 23, the last one being on the right wing, which the Confederates attempted to turn, but failing to do so took shelter behind a stone wall, when a few solid shot from the battery and a simultaneous charge of infantry closed the battle, the battery losing in that engagement 1 man killed and several wounded. In performance of further duty the bat- tery, crossed Massanutten mountain and in May was engaged at Front Royal, one section firing repeated rounds at the enemy. One piece of artillery was lost by the battery at Port Republic and then, after a few months' respite, it was ordered to the front again in August and took part in the battle of Chantilly. It marched with Gen. McClellan's forces on the Antietam cam- paign, and in December crossed the Rappahannock into the city of Fredericksburg, remaining in its streets under fire until the morning of the 16th, when It re-crossed the river. It became actively engaged on the morning of May 3, 1863, at Chan- cellorsville and continued until the end of the engagement. At Gettysburg it took position on the right hand slope and foot of "Little Round Top," where it became warmly engaged with Long- street's corps, which was making desperate efforts to turn the left. So close was the work here that the guns were double--- shotted with canister and worked so rapidly that the men could not lay hands upon them. It afterward marched to Culpeper Court House, and in October entered with the army on the celebrated race between Gens. Meade and Lee for Manassas Junction just missing the fight at Bristoe Station. It thereafter followed the fortunes of the army and took part in the battle at Rappahannock ford. In November the battery crossed the Rapidan at Gold Mine ford and became warmly engaged at Mine run, where it lost 1 man and several horses killed and a number of men wounded. After the fight at Fort Stevens, in July, 1864, the battery was attached to Dwight's division, 19th corps, with which it marched into Maryland, then back to Vir- ginia, and participated in the Snicker's ferry fight. In September it reported to Gen. Sheridan at Summit Point, Va., and moved with his army up the Shenandoah Valley, taking part in the battles of Winchester and Fisher's hill. The battery had twelve different positions during the fight at Cedar creek and behaved handsomely, firing the first and last artillery shot in the battle. It covered the retreat and led in the advance, having 1 man killed and l2 wounded, some very severely by shell. During its term of service the battery lost 7 men killed, 50 wounded and 15 taken prisoners. Battery M was mus- tered into service Dec. 3, 1861, and in January with Battery F, it proceeded to Louisvi!le, Ky., and reported to Maj.-Gen. Buell, who was at that time organizing the Army of the Ohio. It moved with the army to Nashville and was there attached to the artillery reserve, Col. Barnett commanding, with which it operated during the march to and the battle of Shiloh. It also took an active part in all the movements before Corinth and af- ter the evacuation of that place by the Confederates moved to Huntsville and Stevenson, Ala. It greatly distinguished itself in the engagement at Stone's river and when Rosecrans' army moved from Murfreesboro toward Tullahoma and Chattanooga the battery accompanied it and took part in all the skirmishes of that march. It also fought through the battle of Chickamauga and the subsequent victory of Missionary ridge. In the spring of 1864 it was assigned to the command of Maj.-Gen. D. S. Stan- ley, and in July was placed in the trenches before Atlanta, where it remained until the flanking movement against Jones- boro. From that time to the battle of Jonesboro the battery was attached to the 1st division, 4th corps, and took part in all its marches and skirmishes. Pushing on with the army from Jonesboro to Lovejoy's Station, the battery took part in the hot work at the last-named place. Battery M was consolidated with Battery 1 March 13, 1865. The regimental organization was mustered out by batteries at different dates, from June 15, to July 31, 1865, in accordance with orders from the war depart- ment.

Source: The Union Army, vol. 2