Cdv of Lt. William D. Graham of Co. H, 2 US Volunteer Infantry. Inscribed on front mount is
"With brotherly love W. D. Graham a.a.a. Genl 3d Sub Dist(?) Dist. Upper Ark."
Three cent blue tax stamp on verso with more writing. No backmark. In fine condition with wear as shown in the scan. Graham had prior service in the 10th Pennsylvania Reserves, where he was wounded at Fredericksburg.
$275.00 NOW $225.00 plus shipping
WILLIAM D. GRAHAM (1841 - )
Missouri Biographical Dictionary:
William D. Graham, Appleton City - William D. Graham was born May 26, 1841 in North Washington, Butler County, Pennsylvania. He is the elder of two children born to Edward Graham and his wife, Nancy Dale. The family is of Scotch descent. William’s grandfather emigrated from Scotland to America in the latter part of the eighteenth century, and settled in Butler County, Pennsylvania. He died in May 1818. His son, Edward Graham, was born in June 1818, being the youngest of five children. He was admitted to the bar by Judge Breden, and practiced law in Pennsylvania until his removal to Iowa in 1850. He located in DeWitt and continued the practice until his death May 14, 1860 in the 42nd year of his age.
Until the thirteenth year of his age, William D. Graham attended the common schools of DeWitt, and then entered the printing office of the DeWitt “Clintonian”, and served an apprenticeship of three years. At the expiration of his term of service, he worked in various printing offices in Iowa until 1861, when he returned to his native state and joined the 10th Pennsylvania Volunteers Infantry regiment, of which John S. McCalmont was the commander, and participated in all the campaigns of the Army of the Potomac until May 31, 1864. In December 1862 he was wounded at Fredericksburg, Virginia and for three months was confined in Libby prison. He was exchanged and rejoined his regiment at Washington City. At the expiration of his term of enlistment, he was mustered out of the service in June 1864, at Pittsburg, Pennsylvania.
He immediately returned to Iowa, and received an appointment in the office of the recorder and treasurer of Clinton County, at DeWitt. On the 27th of February, 1865 he was commissioned as first lieutenant of the 2nd U.S. Volunteer Infantry, and joined his regiment at Fort Riley, Kansas. The regiment marched to Fort Larned. On the organization of the 3rd District Upper Arkansas, he was appointed adjutant general, serving under Col. Josiah R. King and Col. W.F. Cloud until November 1865.
At the close of the service he located in St. Clair County, Missouri. In July 1866, with his brother, R.S. Graham, he established the Osceola Herald, the publication of which he continued for eight years. In the fall of 1866 he received the nomination of the Republican party for the office of circuit clerk and recorder of St. Clair County, and was elected, holding the office for eight years. In the summer of 1874 he disposed of his paper and accepted the business management of the “State Journal” at Jefferson City. At the expiration of a year and a half, he resigned this position and took a position on the Bates County “Record”. In 1877 he settled in Appleton City and assumed the general management of the Appleton City “Pilot”, a position he still holds.
Politically he is a Republican. He was a delegate to the state conventions of 1867 and 1869. He is not identified with any religious organization. He is a Knight Templar of the Masonic Order and a member of the Encampment of Odd Fellows, and was Deputy Lecturer and District Deputy Grand Master of the 35th Masonic District, under Grand Master Rufus E. Anderson.
He was married July 7, 1869 to Miss Ada Howell Scobey, daughter of William H. Scobey and his wife, Asenath Osborne, by whom he had three children, all of whom are living.