Click on image for a better view:

Cdv of 5th US Cavalry Officer Alfred B. Taylor
Cdv of 5th US Cavalry Officer Alfred B. Taylor. Noted Indian fighter, please read his biography from the book "Across the continent with the Fifth Cavalry" shown below.
Sarony, New York b/m.

$275.00 plus shipping

"43. Alfred B. Tatlor (a son of Rear-Admiral W. R. Taylor, of the United States Navy) was born in the District of Columbia. He was serving as an enlisted man in the Fifth Cavalry when he was discharged in November, 1863, having been appointed a second lieutenant in the regiment, to date from October 31, 1863. He joined his company on the 12th of November, and, after participating in the operations at Mine Run, served during the winter of 1863-64 near Mitchell's Station, Va., and was engaged during February and March in the actions near Barnett's Ford on the Rapid an, Cbarlottesville, and Stannardsville, and the skir- mish near Morton's Ford.
He served with the battalion of the regiment which was on escort duty with General Grant from March 24, 1864, to the end of the war, and participated in the general engagements about Richmond and in front of Petersburg, and in the closing campaign which resulted in the surrender of the Army of Northern Virginia on the 9th of April, 1865. lie also participated in raids on the Petersburg and Weldon Railroad in August, 1864, and through Surry County, between the Blackwater and James River, Va., in October, 1864.

He was promoted a first lieutenant, to date from September 12, 1864, and was made a brevet captain, to date from April 9, 1865, for gallant and meritorious conduct during the campaign terminating with the surrender of General Lee's army.
He accompanied the headquarters of the army to Washington, where he served until November, 1866, except a tour of detached service to Leesburg, Va., during July and August. He was ap- pointed regimental quartermaster December 31, 1866, and held the position until he was promoted a captain, to date from June 22, 1869, and served as quartermaster for the garrisons at Wash- ington, D. C, and Fort McPherson, Neb., and was employed from August, 1868, to April, 1869, on special duty at Washington, Carlisle, and in the Department of Texas in charge of a system of instruction pertaining to the care and treatment of cavalry horses.
He joined his company at Fort McPherson, August 25, 1869, and participated in the closing operations of the Republican River expedition and was engaged in the affair on Prairie Dog Creek, Kan. He served at Fort McPherson, having occasional tours of field-service, from October, 1869, to November, 1871, when he ac- companied the first detachment of the regiment, by the way of San Francisco and the Gulf of California, to Arizona, and arrived at Camp Grant in January, 1872, where he served until May. He was then assigned to general court-martial service at Tucson and San Francisco until October, when he rejoined his company and participated in the Apache campaign of 1872-73, and was engaged in the action at the Caves in Salt River Canon and the affair on Pinto Creek, and was twice nominated to the United States Senate to be a brevet major, to date from December 28, 1872, for gallant conduct in the engagement with Tonto Apache Indians at the Caves.
He served as a member of a board of officers convened at Los Angeles, Cal., for the purchase of cavalry horses, from April to August, 1873, and thereafter with his company at Camp Grant until August, 1874, when he availed himself of a sick-leave of absence and rejoined his company at Fort Lyon, Col., in Oc- tober, 1875, where he had station, with occasional tours of field- service, until June, 1876. He then moved by rail to Cheyenne, Wyo., whence he marched to Fort Robinson, Neb., where he had station during the summer and fall months, and partici- pated, on the 23d of October, in the capture of a Sioux village on Chadron Creek, Neb. He served with the Powder River expe- dition during November and December, 1876, and participated in the brilliant action at Bates Creek (north branch of Powder River), where he narrowly escaped death. The hardships and exposures of the winter campaign compelled him to relinquish the command of his company at Red Cloud Agency in December, 1876, and, after an almost continuous absence from duty on sick- report and sick-leaves until April, 1879, he was retired from active service, to date from May 1, 1879, for disability resulting from disease contracted in the line of duty.

He engaged in mercantile and literary pursuits at New York City until the fall of 1881. He then visited Europe and remained abroad until October, 1882, when he returned to New York City, where he is now living."