Click on image for a better view:

Cdv of 9th New Hampshire Colonel (Gen.) H. B. Titus, severely WIA Burnside's Bridge
Cdv of 9th New Hampshire Colonel & brevet Brigadier General H. B. Titus.
He was severely wounded in action at the famous Burnside's Bridge during the Battle of Antietam, Sept. 17th, 1862.
Henry Ulke, Washington, D.C. 1868 photographer's b/m. Wear as shown in the photograph.

$295.00 plus shipping

Herbert Bradwell Titus, (Chesterfield, N. H.) son of Ezra and Electa (Kneeland) Titus, was born in Chesterfield, N. H., Dec. 11, 1832. He was prepared for College by Cyrus Richards, M. A., Meriden, N. H, and entered and left the Class during the first Freshman term.

"Was in poor health for a long time after leaving College. From the summer of 1855 to the autumn of 1856 taught in Palmyra, N. Y. Had a fever—then taught again until the summer of 1857 and was then quite unwell. Cruised on the salt water four months during each of the summers of 1858 and 1859; was then appointed School Commissioner for the county of Cheshire, N. H., which made me a member of the State Board of Education."

April 22, 1861, he enlisted in the 2d New Hampshire Infantry. June 4, he was promoted to be 2d Lieutenant, and fought at Bull Run. Previous to August, 1861, he had read some Law and more Medicine. He served as Signal officer, from Jan. 1, 1862, to July 1, 1862. June 14,1862, he was promoted to be 1st Lieutenant and was also commissioned Major of the 9th New Hampshire Infantry. Aug. 26, 1862, he was promoted to be Lieutenant Colonel, and Nov. 22, 1862, to be Colonel of the same regiment. He was discharged June 10,1865. June 15,1865, he was appointed Colonel and Chief of Staff of the Governor of New Hampshire.

"Among the officers who were severely wounded were Lieut. Col. Herbert B. Titus and Captains John B. Cooper and Smith O. Whitfield. Lieut. Col. Titus was himself taking an active part in the conflict, having picked up the rifle of a disabled soldier, when he was struck in the side by a bullet and compelled to leave the field. As the word was passed along the line, expressions of sorrow and regret were heard on all sides. The disabling of two of their best captains as well, was naturally trying to soldiers so lately brought into action, and it is greatly to the credit of the Ninth New Hampshire that the work assigned them was performed so faithfully and well; and in so doing it, they were as essential a factor in the victory as those who were placed in more conspicuous positions.”


“ . . . Tuesday night we lay on our arms, and Wednesday at 9 a.m. were called into line and moved in the direction of heavy firing. The rebel, as usual, had chosen a splendid position . . . As on Sunday, we were ordered to the left. The enemy had here crossed the little stone bridge spanning the Antietam creek, and taken position on the table-lands beyond.

“The creek flowed in a ravine, and though fordable in regard to depth, yet the steep and rugged bank on the other side rendered the enemy’s position unapproachable, except by crossing the bridge and filing up the narrow wagon-road. Our work was to assist in holding the rebels from destroying or recrossing the bridge, and to gain possession of the same if possible. The lines of infantry were formed on each side the creek, and for more than two hours one continued roll of musketry was kept up along the lines, the rebels having the advantage of high ground and a narrow piece of heavy woodland as a breastwork. The contest was desperate.

“Our troops fought like those determined to conquer. Twice was the attempt made to charge across the bridge, and twice the noble fellows were compelled to fall back under a galling fire which laid low many of our brave heroes. A third attempt was made, and not in vain. The bridge and the day were ours, and soon General Burnside and staff rode across amid the cheers of the victorious forces. The New Hampshire Ninth was one of the first to follow, leaving behind our brave and beloved Lieutenant-Colonel Titus, wounded in the shoulder, and several of his brave fellows. We were now separated from the rest of our brigade, and it was our misfortune several times during the day to come under a most galling fire from the rebel batteries.

“About sunset we were ordered to a large corn-field supposed to be thickly swarming with rebels, which we afterwards learned to be true. As we approached the field we were obliged to lie down to escape the showers of grape and bursting shell. We were soon covered by a small battery, which we hoped would silence theirs and give us an opportunity for action; but to our disappointment, after firing a few shots they withdrew, as we afterwards learned, for want of ammunition, leaving us entirely unprotected and the enemy advancing upon us in superior force. The regiments at our right and left also withdrew, and the general sent a verbal dispatch to our colonel that our only safety was in reaching the ford.

“We immediately fell back to the creek under a perfect shower of grape and canister, which wounded several of our men, and few of us came over ‘dry shod.’

“It was late at night before we again got organized, and hence we obtained but little sleep."