Click on image for a better view:

Cdv of General George A. Custer
Cdv of General George A. Custer. Excellent half seated view of the famous Little Big Horn KIA.
Image has wear as shown in the scan. Anthony, NY B/M.

$1195.00 plus shipping.

Custer, George A., major-general, was born in New Rumley, Harrison county, Ohio, Dec. 5, 1839, and was graduated at West Point in 1861. Being assigned to duty as 2nd lieutenant in the 1st U. S. cavalry, he arrived at the front on the day of the first battle of Bull Run and joined his regiment on the field. In the fall of 1861 he was ordered home on sick leave, and on his return, in Feb., 1862, he rejoined the army, being assigned to the 5th U. S. cavalry. He served successively as aide on the staffs of Gens. Phil Kearny, W. F. Smith and George B. McClellan, was promoted to be a captain of volunteers and served throughout the Peninsular campaign of 1862. He was com- missioned brigadier-general of volunteers in June, 1863, and placed at the head of a brigade of Michigan cavalry, which, un- der his leadership, became one of the best trained and most ef- ficient bodies in the Federal army. He led his brigade at the battle of Gettysburg, and distinguished himself by gallantry which won for him the brevet rank of major in the regular army. Subsequently his brigade was attached to Sheridan's cavalry corps, with which he served in the campaigns in Virginia, in the spring and summer of 1864, and in the subsequent operations in the Shenandoah valley, distinguishing himself by his bravery on numerous occasions. He was then given command of the 3d di- vision of Sheridan's corps, won the battle of Woodstock, and at Cedar creek his division recaptured, before the day was over, guns and colors that had been taken from the army earlier in the fight, together with Confederate flags and cannon. After this brilliant success, Gen. Custer was sent to Washington in charge of the captured colors, and was recommended for promo- tion. He was given the brevet of major-general of volunteers, Oct. 19, 1864, defeated Gen. Early at Waynesboro, and took part in the battles of Five Forks, Dinwiddie Court House, and other engagements of Grant's last campaign. He received the first flag of truce from the Army of Northern Virginia, and was pres- ent at Appomattox Court House when Lee surrendered his army. He was appointed major-general of volunteers to date from April 15, 1865, having been brevetted major-general, U. S. A., March 13, 1865, and, after the grand review at Washington, commanded the cavalry in Texas in the winter of 1865 and 1866, and then applied for leave of absence to become commander of the cavalry which Juarez was organizing to drive the Emperor Maximilian out of Mexico. His request being denied, he accepted the position of lieutenant-colonel of the 7th cavalry and gained his first experience in Indian fighting in 1867-68, with Gen. Hancock's campaign against the Cheyennes, bringing the campaign to a suc- cessful conclusion by a decisive defeat which he inflicted on the Indians at Washita, I. T., in Nov., 1868. He first met the hostile Sioux in 1873, when his regiment was ordered to Dakota to guard the Northern Pacific railroad construction, and in 1874 he commanded an expedition to the Black Hills which opened up a hitherto undiscovered region of mineral wealth. Gen. Custer lost his life, June 25, 1876, at the fatal massacre on the Little Big Horn. Reaching the Indian encampment in a re- gion which was little known, he did not wait for the rest of the army, under command of Gen. Terry, and, underestimating the strength of the Indians, divided his force of 277 troopers into three divisions, with which he made the attack. The Indians, outnumbering their opponents ten to one, killed every one of the noble band.

Source: The Union Army, vol. 8