Click on image for a better view:

Cdv of Revolutionary War veteran
Cdv of Revolutionary War veteran Daniel Waldo, aged 102. Wear as shown in the scan.

$499.99 plus shipping

"Daniel Waldo (September 10, 1762 July 30, 1864) was an American clergyman. Born in Windham, Connecticut, Waldo served in the American Revolutionary War and later became a missionary and clergyman. In 1856, at the age of 94, Waldo was named Chaplain of the House of Representatives.

It is recorded that he was in good health during his service to the House; he was also one of seven Revolutionary War veterans who, having survived into the age of photography, were featured in the 1864 book The Last Men of the Revolution (which gives many more details of his life). Waldo died in Syracuse, New York at the advanced age of 101, of injuries sustained after falling down a flight of stairs, and he was given a memorial in the House itself."
"....His connection with the war of the Revolution begun in 1778. In that year, being then sixteen years old, he was drafted as a soldier for a month's service at New London. He subsequently enlisted for eight months in the servlce of the State; and during the term of this enlistment, in March, 1779, was taken prisoner by the tories at Horseneck. This will be recollected as the spot rendered famous by Putnam's escape, on horseback, down the stone steps from the height on which the continental troops, were posted. The circumstances of Mr. Waldo's capture, as, given by himself to the artist who took his photograph, were as follows: One of the guards, on leaving his beat one stormy night, failed to give him warning, and thus the tories surprised him. One of them snapped a musket at him, but it only flashed in the pan; whereupon he laid down his own musket and made signs of surrender. But one of the enemy, on pretense that he was about to pick it up again, made a thrust at him with his bayonet, which failed to pierce him. He thereupon demanded to be treated as a prisoner of war; and lying down, the attacking party passed over him into the house which he was guarding, capturing the whole company (thirty-seven in number) which it contained. With his fellow prisoners Mr. Waldo was carried to New York, where he was confined in the far-famed "Sugar House" for about two months. There, with the exception of short rations, he was well treated. This terminated his immediate connection with the war. Upon his release by exchange, he returned to his home in Windham, and resumed his labors on the farm."