Click on image for a better view:

Medal of Honor Document Signed by Sheridan, Stanton and Volkmar
Medal of Honor Document Signed by Sheridan, Stanton and Volkmar!
December, 1892 Special Order for Major George Baird, who was awarded the Medal of Honor for his actions at Bear Paw Mountain, Montana on September 30, 1877 against Chief Joseph and the Nez Perce.
His MOH citation reads, "Most distinguished gallantry in action with Nez Perce Indians." He was at the time a 1st Leutenant with the 5th Infantry.

Document signed first by William J. Volkmar of the 5th US Cavalry who is recognized as the last officer to lead a saber charge at

"Prairie Dog Creek, where he won a special mention in the official report "as meriting the highest praise for dash and gallantry," and also for having, in connection with Lieutenant Price, Fifth Cavalry, "undoubtedly saved the lives of Major Frank North (commanding Pawnee scouts) and the guide, William Cody."

So we have Volkmar to thank for saving "Buffalo Bill"!

On the verso it is also signed by Phil Sheridan's brother, Michael Sheridan, who also was a member the the famous 7th US Cavalry, and the "Fighting Paymaster" Thaddeus Stanton, renown for leading the civilian scouts during the Centennial Campaign of 1876.

Document in fine condition, with wear as shown in the scan.

$195.00 plus shipping

Thaddeus Stanton, "The Fighting Paymaster":
US Army Brigadier Paymaster General. With the outbreak of the Civil War, he began his military career enlisting in the Union Army as a Private in the 3rd Battalion, District of Columbia, Infantry. In October, 1861, he was elected to the House of the Ninth General Assembly and after his term, returned to the Army as a Captain in the 19th Iowa Volunteer Infantry. Promoted Major in 1862, for the remainer of the war, he served in the Department of the Paymaster General and for meritorious service was brevetted Lieutenant Colonel of US Volunteers on March 13, 1865. During the Indian Wars, he was Chief of Scouts for General George Crook and took part in the Little Big Horn Campaign in 1876. Returning to Washington D.C. after the Indian campaigns, he was promoted Colonel Assistant Paymaster General and commissioned Brigadier Paymaster General U.S. Army on March 27, 1895.

William J. VOLKMAR was born in Pennsylvania, and sewed, during the Confederate invasion of his native State, as a sergeant in the Thirty-third Pennsylvania Volunteers from the 19th of June to the 4th of August, 1863. Upon the recommendations of his captain and colonel, for gallant conduct in battle during the Gettysburg campaign, and of the faculty of the high-school of Philadelphia, from which institution he holds the degrees of B.A. and M.A., he was appointed a cadet at the Military Academy, and was graduated on the 15th of June, 1868, and assigned to the Fifth Cavalry as a second lieutenant, and was promoted, in the regiment, a first lieutenant March 19, 1870, and a captain April 2, 1879.
He reported at Fort Harker, Kan., October 4, 1868, and was assigned to the command of a detachment of cavalry recruits, which he was employed in arming, equipping, and drilling until the 2d of November, when he accompanied the detachment to Fort Dodge, Kan., and was engaged en route in a combat (November 15) with Cheyenne Indians near Fort Larned. He was serving as an acting aide-de-camp for Colonel Sulty, commanding the Indian Territory expedition, when he was ordered to join his company, then with another column, at Fort Wallace, Kan.
He then served (commanding company) with the Canadian River expedition and in camp near Fort Lyon during the winter and spring of 1868-69, and while marching across the country with a battalion of the regiment (acting engineer officer) was engaged, in May, 1869, in the combats with hostile Sioux and Cheyennes at Beaver and Spring creeks, and narrowly escaped death in the combat at the latter place. He was recommended for the brevet of first lieutenant for conspicuous gallantry upon that occasion. He participated, as acting engineer and signal officer, in the operations of the Republican River expedition from June to November, 1869, and was engaged in the affair at Rock Creek, the brilliant action at Summit Springs (distinguished for gallantry and recommended for the brevet of captain), the affair in the sand-hills south of Julesburg, the Niobrara pursuit, and the affair on Prairie Dog Creek, where he won a special mention in the official report "as meriting the highest praise for dash and gallantry," and also for having, in connection with Lieutenant Price, Fifth Cavalry, "undoubtedly saved the lives of Major Frank North (commanding Pawnee scouts) and the guide, William Cody."

He then served at Fort McPherson, where he was principally employed as acting engineer and signal officer, quartermaster, and commissary, until February, 1871. He then availed himself of a sick-leave of absence until May, when he joined his company at Fort D. A. Russell, Wyo., and served at that station until December, 1871, when he accompanied the second detachment of the regiment, by the way of San Francisco and the Gulf of California, to Arizona, and arrived at Camp McDowell in January, 1872, and was soon thereafter assigned, at the request of Brigadier-General Oliver 0. Howard, to the difficult and dangerous duty of attempting, under a flag of truce, to open communication with the hostile Apaches. Ho was then employed in conducting recruits to Camps Grant, Lowell, and Apache, and served on general court-martial duty at Camp Apache until July, when he rejoined his company in the field near Camp Hualpai. He was selected, in August, 1872, to command Camp Date Creek, where he rendered important and highly valuable services during the outbreak of the Apache-Yuma Indians on the 8th of September.

He was selected, in December, 1872, for recruiting service, and had stations at Cleveland, Philadelphia, and St. Louis, and was adjutant of the cavalry station at St. Louis Barracks, until May, 1875, when he was assigned to temporary duty in the office of the chief engineer of the Department of Missouri. He served in that position until December, when he was appointed chief signal officer of the department, and was employed in giving instructions in military signaling and telegraphy until December, 1876, when he was appointed aide-de-camp for BrigadierGeneral Pope (now major-general). He continued in the discharge of the duties of these offices, and performed, at intervals, the duties of assistant adjutant-general, judge-advocate, and chief ordnance and engineer officer until after his promotion to a captaincy in the regiment, when he was relieved, in July, 1879, from staff duty, at his own request, and joined his company at Fort D. A. Russell, Wyo. He joined Major Thornburgh's command which was organized, in September, to operate against the disaffected Utes on White River, Col.; but, before the command marched from Fort' Fred Steele, Wyo., he was recalled by the lieutenant-general of the army for special duty at Chicago, III., as recorder of a board of officers which was convened to consider disputed matters relating to the battles of Chickamauga and Stone River.

Before completing this duty, and in January, 1880, he was again appointed an aide-de-camp for Brigadier-General Pope, and served in that position at Fort Leavenworth, Kan., until June 6, 1881, when he was appointed an aide-de-camp (with the rank of lieutenant-colonel) for the lieutenant-general of the army, and is now serving in that position at Chicago, IL