Click on image for a better view:

(Myles Keogh, New Mexico) Cdv of 1st US Cavalry Gettysburg Commander R. S. C. Lord
Cdv of 1st US Cavalry Gettysburg Commander R. S. C. Lord. He commanded the 1st Cavalry at the Battle of Gettysburg and early in the war had service in New Mexico and Utah before going east. He was seriously wounded at Funkstown on July 9th, 1863, and had to leave the army for two months.
This image was owned by Captain Myles Keogh, it comes Keogh's personal album that was sold in auction and broken up a few years ago. Keogh has written the identification on the front of the carte in period ink-

"Richd Lord, Capt. 1st Cavalry U.S.A."

No photographer's b/m. Great history, as it was owned by a famous Irishmen killed at the LBH!
Authenticity guaranteed for life.

$650.00 plus shipping

"Richard S. C. Lord was born in 1832 on his fatherís farm near Bellefontaine, Ohio. He was appointed to the United States Military Academy from Ohio in 1852 and graduated 40th out of 47 in the class of 1856. The class of 1856 also included future Civil War cavalry generals Fitzhugh Lee, Lunsford L. Lomax, George D. Bayard, and James Forsyth. He and some of his classmates purchased the Patagonia silver mine in Arizona, but sold his interest in 1859 when his company departed Arizona for Ft. Fillmore. He was commissioned a brevet second lieutenant on July 1, 1856, and joined the infantry. He served garrison duty at the Newport Barracks in Kentucky 1856-1857 and then at the Carlisle Barracks. While serving at Newport, he was promoted to second lieutenant in the 3rd Artillery. On June 22, 1857, he was transferred to the 1st Dragoons and did frontier duty at Ft. Buchanan, New Mexico. In 1859, he alternated between Ft. Buchanan and Ft. Fillmore, often doing scouting duty and fighting a skirmish with Apache Indians near Camp Calabassee, New Mexico on August 26, 1860. He was assigned to Ft. Breckinridge, Utah not longer after and served there 1860-1861. On April 23, 1861, he was promoted to first lieutenant. Lord returned to New Mexico in June 1861 and was promoted to captain on October 26, 1861. While commanding a company of the 1st U. S. Cavalry (as the 1st Dragoons were now known), he was engaged in the February 21, 1862 Battle of Valverde and in an action at Apache Canyon March 7-8, 1862. The conduct of his company at Valverde was criticized, and Lord underwent a court of inquiry that eventually exonerated his conduct there. He was then transferred east and assumed command of the 1st U. S. Cavalry as its senior captain. He led the 1st U. S. during the May 1863 Stoneman Raid, at Brandy Station on June 9, 1863, and during the Gettysburg Campaign (at Upperville on June 21, at Gettysburg July 3, and in several of the battles during the retreat. He received a brevet to major for gallant and meritorious services during the Gettysburg Campaign, to date to July 7, 1863. While skirmishing at Funkstown on July 9, 1863, Lord was seriously wounded, and had to leave the army. He was on disability leave from July 10-September 3, 1863. When he returned to duty, he served as assistant at the newly-formed Cavalry Bureau in Washington, DC. On February 25, 1865, he returned to command the 1st U. S. and led it in the war in the eastís final campaigns, including the April 1, 1865 Battle of Five Forks, for which he received a brevet to lieutenant colonel. After the Confederate surrender at Appomattox, the 1st U. S. became Maj. Gen. Philip H. Sheridanís escort and accompanied Sheridan to New Orleans from June-September 1865. Lord was on recruiting duty from October 1865 to March 1866 and then was assigned to the Drum Barracks in Los Angeles, California from March to June 1866. Unfortunately, Lord had contracted tuberculosis sometime during his service in the Civil War, and by June 1866, the disease had reached terminal status and he was gravely ill. He went east to appear before a retirement board but was too ill. Lord left the Army on sick leave on June 15, 1866, and died of tuberculosis at his fatherís home in Bellefontaine on October 16, 1866, ten days shy of his 34th birthday. He was buried in the Bellefontaine City Cemetery in his home town."