Signs that the ebay item you are bidding on is a fake:
A. The description- if any of the following terms show up in the sellers description, odds are the item is a fake.
1. "I bought this at an auction today and will provide the winning bidder with the auction receipt."
2. "I did not receive a guarantee of authenticity when I purchased these items and I am not extending one in my auctions unless I so specify."
3. "non-vintage copy"
4. "I don't know anything about this kinda thing, so I am selling it with no returns, as is- you be the judge."
5. "It was formerly the property of a recently-deceased elderly collector of CDV's."
6. "I am not certain when this CDV was produced, though I strongly suspect that it is from the Civil War era."
7. "THIS PICTURE IS 100 YEARS OLD OR SO IT IS A 100 YEAR OLD REPRODUCTION.."
8. "Although this is an authentic reproduction of the original, its still a historical document"
9. "refund will only be considered if item is not as described and pictured. Seller reserves the right of final determination."
All of these comments have appeared in real ebay auctions. All were for fake items. Keep a sharp eye out for these types of comments.